Battlefield-X
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 176 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:01 am
Poll
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Twitter Feed

A new phone?

4 posters

Go down

A new phone?  Empty A new phone?

Post by Willow Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 am

been thinking of getting a new phone as my current one keeps running out of internal memory, been looking at getting a Samsung S3 mini or a Nokia windows phone, or even perhaps waiting until the new rumoured Samsung S4 mini is released? I'm not sure at the moment
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

A new phone?  Empty Re: A new phone?

Post by SturmKommando Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:28 pm

phones are being released at a crazy speed now as the technology leaps forward, even Apple is rumoured to be switching to a 6 month cycle of new releases....

ive learned to deal with the fact whatever you buy is out of date within a few months, im currently using an iphone but previous to that i was always happy with Nokia.
SturmKommando
SturmKommando

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:38 am

S3 mini is supposed to be good but if you want a proper Samsung then the S3 is the best although it is quite costly.

With the iPhone, for the tech you get it just isn't worth the money as you mainly pay for the brand name.

Not sure about the Windows phones as I haven't really heard much about them and don't know whether that is a good or a bad thing.

Personally I would go with the S3 mini if you are more strapped for cash but if not, go for the proper S3 or HTC One.
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Owner
Owner

https://battlefieldx.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:33 am

I know someone with a windows phone they seem ok, don't want a really big phone, at the moment the s3 mini is what I will get, but will hold on until the s4 is announced (and s4 mini) to see if they are better / or reduce price on s3 mini

don't want to spend huge sums on a new phone about £200- £300 max really, any more is not worth it

I think a new phone every 2 or 3 years should be a minimum, must be near 2 years for the current phone and with its memory limitations needs to be replaced now, the one I have has a little keyboard but I think it was a mistake now as the screen was too small
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty McNinja Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 am

had my iphone for about 4 months, after having a blackberry...love the iphone so would recommend it, but pretty sure you can't upgrade the memory on it.
Shifty McNinja
Shifty McNinja

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 am

well I went into the Vodafone shop today, was going to buy a S3 Mini + a 16 GB memory card and guess what? They had sold out, will try again Sunday when they think they will have more in, apparently its a popular phone

and yes I think you cant put any more memory (via) SD in an iPhone which is daft really!
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 am

went back to the Vodafone shop today, thought perhaps I would pay the extra and get a S3 not the mini they did not have any in. Its like £400, which is a lot less than some high end phones, plus I took a look in 3 mobile shop, they had the exact phone for £350 (plus you have to spend £10 top up for that price) but still a good price.

since it is now 4 weeks ish until the S4 is out I will wait and see if there are any better deals on the S3, I will abandon Vodafone I think, having issues logging into my account and from what it says on the VF forums it seems to be an issue with VF upgrading its systems and loads of people are having issues.

Vodafone also seem to have signal issues, cant even get a signal at my mums in Stockport, hardly a rural area (its a part of Greater Manchester). I will use up my credit on my current phone and probably just move to another provider. May get the new phone before I use up credit, in which case just use existing phone for phone calls until it runs out

In my opinion the iPhone 5 and Samsung S4 are examples that technology is now slowing down. 1080p on a 5" screen? Any higher and you wont be able to notice, so that's a dead end (screen resolution) and the number of cores wont keep going up, 4 is enough, atm so you will see improvements in software as the hook in the future, as well as more storage and battery life.
Effectively phones will be point release upgrades now not huge upgrades each year.
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 am

went to the Trafford Centre today, purchased a Samsung Galaxy 3, I even managed to get a free 8GB SD card, I was told Samsung had there own stand in the Trafford centre and anyone who gets a phone gets a FREE SD card for free, which I thought was great. Can't see that happening with iPhone! Very Happy
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:44 am

whats really funny is the S3 phone has more processor cores than the Wii U or 360 although not as fast
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze Fri May 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Just got myself a new phone. Got the new samsung galaxy s4. Quite liking it at the moment but trying to get used to the new ui after the last 2 years using an old htc.
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 am

my last phone was a HTC, seemed a good phone at the time but the S3 makes it look slow.

I considered an S4 but £200 extra for 2GB ram instead of 1GB and 1.9 instead of 1.4 GHz, does not seem a massive upgrade. I'm very pleased with the S3 myself.

My sister got an S4 but had to wait as they had low stocks.

not sure if it works the same on S4 but if you hold down the back button it brings up a tab and you can use it to use 2 applications at the same time. I can use say Facebook and twitter or Youtube ect. Nice feature, don't use it all the time though.

They have updated the Samsung apps app so it has the same logo as on the S4 now

I really like using the steam app (download on play store), I can chat, and buy games on the app, which is good. If a sale is on when at work I can buy while at work.
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 am

I was going to get the htc one but it cost too much per month. Got the s4 instead and i am liking it a lot.

The back button thing brings up a slider on the left hand side to select different apps and it has both open but not side by side unfortunately but that is probably something i need to sort out myself or im doing wrong!
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 am

on the slider drag the app on to the screen if you already have an app open it will split the screen in two
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 am

Yeah i just googled it and have been trying it out (doing it now!) And its very quick and responsive. Probably helps having that extra 1gb of ram and the cpu running at 1.9ghz instead of 1.5!
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:12 am

for games I suspect it would be better!

when you think a phone with more RAM than a 360 and PS3 combined! Wii U does have 2Gb though! Just shows you how fast technology has moved forward. I suspect mobile will slow down soon.

most apps would only use say a single core so the faster cpu will be better. my S3 is no slouch though, at least at the moment when it seems like overkill!

I did play a sonic demo on it but found touch screen controls poor compared to a controller.

I know people have been complaining about storage space saying you only get 8GB when its a 16 GB storage, you do get 16GB its just software eats that up! S3 had 11 GB. That reduced storage will be true of all phones though
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:22 am

Dad has a usb otg cable to plug his ps3 controller into his nexus 7 and i can use it on my phone also. Playing shadowgun deadzone is really good but it seems a little bit unfair on people using the touch controls!

Know what you mean willow, this phone is a 16gb but i only get 11gb to use. I do however have a 4gb sd card which helps me out as well!

Did manage to get need for speed most wanted for free off of samsung hub today as well, if you want to check that out willow?!
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 am

No, it was the samsung apps thing where i got need for speed!
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Willow Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:35 am

it shows £3 for me!

My S3 has 16GB internal, 11 GB actual use. I got a free 8GB SD card from the Samsung stand in the Trafford centre which was nice

Can you get free anti virus software? Samsung gives away (not sure if its a limited offer thing) AVG antivirus pro (£6 normally) not to be confused with the free one on play store that is free but not the pro version! click on Samsung apps
Willow
Willow

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamikaze Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:41 am

Oh, i went into games then the ea section and it had the £3 crossed out and said free next to it so i downloaded it and it is pretty good actually.

Just downloaded the avg pro for free, thanks willow. Saw it on the home screen but figured that it would cost so just ignored it!
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Owner
Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down